Not sure if it's safe to shout about it yet....
But maybe, just maybe, summer has finally arrived.
Which got me thinking (always a bit dangerous I know): What are my favourite summer salads? really?
So here's a quick Top 5...or rather 2:
TOP 5 traditional summer salads from when I was little
All fairly basic, using stuff growing in the garden...but yummy and kind of "summer comfort food" if that makes any sense
1. Potatoes, tomatoes and boiled egg salad with mayo dressing
2. Tomato salad with a shallot vinaigrette (1 part vinegar to 3 part olive oil, salt, pepper) and chopped fresh chives
3. Celeriac remoulade: shredded raw celeriac with a runny mayo
4. Carrot salad: Grated carrots with chopped fresh parsley and a lemon vinaigrette
5. Salad nicoise: Green beans, tomatoes, black olives, hard boiled eggs, red onions and canned tuna with a mustard dressing (basic vinaigrette with a heaped teaspoon of French mustard all combined and shaken in en empty jam jar!!)
TOP 5 summer salads 2008
Inspired from loads of places and my habit of combining leftovers in any ways
1. Noodle salad: Chinese noodles with sesame oil, lime juice, fresh grated ginger, spring onions, garlic
2. Hamouli cheese, grilled peppers, coz lettuce and grilled chicken (poached from my husband!)
3. Potatoes and mint salad: peeled and cubes potatoes cooked until just tender, mixed with mayo and fresh mint
4. Avocado, tomatoes, spring onions, crispy bacon salad
5. Green salad leaves with crumbled roquefort cheese
Obvisously this is my Top 5 tonight, knowing me might well be completely different tomorrow.
In the meantime, what's your favourite summer salad? Tell me HERE